• Reporting in Japan

Reporting in Japan

General Information

Times to Avoid When Scheduling Reporting in Japan

During the periods below it is extremely difficult to arrange appointments with government officials and company representatives.

  • The “Golden Week” of consecutive national holidays from the end of April to early May.
  • The summer holiday season in August, especially the middle of the month.
  • The holiday period at the end of the year and beginning of a new year (late December to early January).
  • March (especially mid to late March), which marks the end of the fiscal year in Japan.


Regarding visas for entry into Japan, media representatives of countries that have reciprocal visa waiver agreements with Japan are not required to obtain visas (except some countries such as the U.S.: http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/travel_and_visa/visa/work-journalist-us.html) if they are staying for only a short time for the genuine purpose of reporting. Media representatives from other countries are required to apply for a visa beforehand at a Japanese embassy or consulate general. Please contact your local Japanese embassy or consulate general for up-to-date information. The FPCJ does not issue letters of invitation for visa applications.

Hiring Interpreters and Video Reporting Coordinators

If you do not speak Japanese, we strongly recommend you hire an interpreter. For video reporting, we recommend you hire a coordinator.

< Example rates for hiring an interpreter (Japanese-English) through an interpreting agency: >

60,000 yen per day (up to eight hours)
40,000 yen per half-day (up to four hours)

< Example rates for hiring a freelance coordinator: >

50,000–60,000 yen per day (up to eight hours)

< Please use the links below for reference when looking for an interpreter or coordinator: >

Interpretation Agencies
Tour Guide-Interpreter Search System
Reporting Coordination Company (provides crew and equipment as well)

< Procedure for Bringing Camera Equipment into Japan: >

In the case of media representatives from member countries of the Customs Convention on the ATA Carnet for the Temporary Admission of Goods, work-related equipment (media and broadcasting equipment, camera equipment) can pass through customs as temporary imports if you submit an ATA carnet when entering Japan. In other cases, it is necessary to follow the required procedures (deposit of guarantee, etc.) at the port of entry, and it may take you several days to get your equipment back.

* The voltage in Japan is 100 V. The television system is NTSC.

This site uses cookies to improve performance and what advertisements are shown. By using this site, you consent to use our cookies.Privacy Policy